Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My toes are starting to curl!!

I first noticed it when I wore a pair of heels the other night(that were maybe a little to pointy). I figured that the 2-3 hours that I wore them wouldn't kill me, but my goodness... By the end of night I had severe pain in my feet, right on the top of my toes.

Today I was looking at my toes and I noticed a small area of redness on the top of my toe right where it is starting to curl. It is sort of hard and painful to the touch, and truthfully a little ugly.. I think it is a corn.

If you are suffering from anything similar to this you may have hammertoes. Hammertoes are a contracture of a joint in the toes, that usually start off flexible and may progress to a more rigid deformity. The more rigid they become the more they will interfere with your ambulation and may lead to corns, or even worse an open sore.

What causes Hammertoes? Hammertoes are a mechanical imbalance of the tendons in the toes. The tendons on top of the foot gain control over other tendons and start to contract and curl your toes. Why does it happen?

1.Can be caused by biomechanics (your foot structure and the way you walk)
2.The wrong shoes (high heels, pointy shoes)
3.Neuromuscular condition
4.Broken toe or trauma to the toe (jamming)

Treatments for Hammertoes:

Treatments usually include accomodative padding, different shoe gear, trimming of corns, anti-inflammatories, injection therapy and surgery. Orthotic devices may also help control abnormal biomechanics.

If you are suffering from any of these symptoms talk to your podiatrist. There are many advances in the treatment of these silly toes!

No comments: